Saturday, January 7, 2017

How to Write an Informal Letter?



 What is an Informal Letter?

An informal letter is a letter written between people who have close relationship. It’s usually used to keep in touch, update our life, ask questions, give advice, request information, send condolence or congratulate people.






Greeting
It starts with ‘Dear’ followed by the person’s name to whom you are writing the letter and then a comma (,).


Opening
You usually start by writing about the person to whom you’re sending the letter. Then you can introduce the purpose of writing that letter.

Examples of phrases that you could use:
o   How are you? / How have you been? / How is life treating you?
o   How are your parents? / How have the family been
o   I hope you are doing well / I hope my letter finds you in the best of health
o   Thank you / Many thanks for your letter. 
o   It was good / nice / great to hear from you again.
I was so surprised to hear that... / I'm so happy to hear that ... 
o   I thought you might be interested to hear about / know that …
o   I’m writing to apologize for ... / I’m really sorry about ... 
o   I’m writing to thank you for your ... 
o   Congratulations on  
o   I’m writing to ask you a favor. / I’d be very grateful if you could …


Content / Body
This is the part where you write the message with the details you want to convey. Write new paragraphs whenever you want to talk about a different topic.

 Useful phrases for making suggestions

o   Why don't you …? / How about …? / Maybe you could …?
o   Don't forget to … / You must visit … / You must try …
o   I would highly recommend … / My suggestion is …



Ending / Conclusion
Wrap it all up. Summarize your main idea in this paragraph and you may send greetings to finish it off.

Closing sentences examples:
o   I can't wait to hear from you / I hope to be hearing from you soon. 
o   I am looking forward to seeing you.
o   Send my love to ... / Give my regards to ... / Say hello to ...
o   I hope you are doing well.     
o   All the best! / Good luck!
o   Bye for now. / Well, that’s all for now.
o   Take care.
o   Write soon.
o   Keep in touch.
o   See you soon. / I cant wait to see you soon.


Signing Off
o   Best,
o   Best wishes,
o   Kindly,
o   Yours lovingly,
o   Best regards,
o   Lots of love,
o   Love,
o   Sincerely,


Signature
Sign your name beginning directly below the signing off.

--
The format / layout for this informal letter can be downloaded here.

No comments:

Post a Comment